VS2010 Templates Project Names?

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Does anyone know why the VS2010 Templates always use Mvc and MvcApplication for the project names instead of the names you entered in for the solution?  Makes it a pain to have to rename and refactor the projects to get the namespaces correct.

Thanks,

Jay

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Hi @jay,

The integration with VS has always been an interesting hurdle with the Turbine bits since we're using a solution template rather than a project template. Currently the way the solution template is configured with the names hard coded to Mvc and MvcApplication since there was no easy way us to allow the user to rename them individually. One thing we thought about was to create a wizard screen that allows you specify the names then pass them to the underlying solution wizard (the thing in VS that does all the work) so it can name things appropriately. However, this required lots of work and integration with VS for some pretty straight forward and simple.

Have you tried creating your own projects then adding a reference to Turbine after everything is laid out/named correctly? That might be less work than renaming all the pieces individually from the Turbine template.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for getting back with me.  I have tried to create a few Solution and Project templates and understand the issues.  I mainly just wanted to make sure my install was working and make sure I wasn't missing something like an awesome refactor that would fix all the namespaces for me or such.

I think renaming the projects and fixing the namespaces or connecting it up to a new project will probably be about the same amount of work.  I will probably keep using the VS templates and hope that someone really skilled shows up to help take them to the next level.

Jay